<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, October 18, 2003

Afternoon Beer

I spent time with one of my closets friends today. Jason is one of my best friends. He lives in San Francisco, so I don't get to hang out with him much. We have a lot of history together. We were room mates during our early college years. We have written songs together, gone on adventures together, and even worked together at a gym and the YMCA. Jason is also one of the most intellectual guys I know.

Today we had a conversation over an afternoon beer. The conversation covered basically three topics, Community, Validation, and Post-Modernism. Its funny that not only he and I have remained friends, but more so that we covered these topics extensively. Its funny because he and I don't go together. Few things bring us together, music, beer, baseball and a personal history together. That's about it. We are separated by things that divide so many people, such as political views, religion, beliefs and geography.

Jason lives in a huge city, I live in a small town. I believe and practice Christianity, Jason does not. I guess I fall under the blanket of conservative, Jason would be liberal. Jason also has a much higher level of education then I do.

It is funny how society says you cant have friendships and community with people who differ so greatly. People in general stick with their own kind. Christians stick with Christians, Muslims with Muslims, Republicans with Republicans. You know the saying, birds of the same feather flock together. And when you try to belong to a community that is different from who you are, a lot of the time you are rejected.

I really don't have a lot to say on this thought, except that I am glad that I have friends who are different from me. Jason and I respect the differences of each other. I enjoy it. It is actually refreshing, and the cool thing is we can share with each other thoughts and ideas without debating or ramming them down each other throat.

I look forward to reading Jason's thesis. It is about community, maybe then I may have something more to add on why communities have to be formed with people who all think and believe a like.

The other topic we covered was Validation. What is it about man wanting validation so bad. I personally seek validation in all forms, even from God. I seek Validation from my wife, in that I am a good husband and human being. I seek validation from society, through the job I have. I must be important because I have a badge and up hold the law. I seek validation from my co-workers, wanting to be recognize as a good officer. I seek validation from church leaders, that I am a good Christian. To be honest, I even seek a little validation through this web page, hoping that those who read these thoughts, will validate that I have something important or insightful to say. And last, part of me maybe seeks Validation from God. Wanting validation of my existence.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?