<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 04, 2003

Sundays Sermon

My wife and I both like Tim's sermon on Sunday and discussed it over dinner last night. A couple of things came up during our conversation that I wanted to share. Not that Tim's message was lacking in anyway, but rather to just expand with the thoughts that I have had.

I have never heard a sermon like the one I heard on Sunday. I have heard many sermons before that deliver the opposite message. About two months ago, I heard a preacher on the radio tell his audience that most Christians watch MTV, listen to rock music, and watch rated R movies, and that God was sadden over their disobedience. For Tim to say that maybe God really does not care brought a big smile upon my face. I wish the preacher I heard on the radio heard this message.

I like what Tim said about the love for your brother comes before your freedom. I was back packing through Yosemite two years ago and I read from Mark through Jude. While reading most of the books of the new testament, I found that love for others comes above your own freedom to be one of the common themes. Put others before your own freedom.

One thought that I had was that though we are free to live life and celebrate all moments, temperance is an important Christian Virtue that has to be considered. Meaning, that taking in unhealthy amounts of what ever it maybe could hamper your spiritual growth in the long run. It could be anything, Strong Drink, Cigars, Food, Spending Money, Material Items.
I am now beginning to sound hypercritical. Though this is important to me, I don't live this virtue out all the time. This weekend, I spent money I did not have, just charge it. Most American are over weight because what is good (food) is taken in excess. Temperance is not considered while eating, or spending, and drinking in my house hold as much as it should.

Another thought was the bible verse you most likely will hear when someone disapproves of you going to a rated R movie or maybe to a pub. "Guard your Heart. "(Philippians 4:7)
That verse right there is taken out of context. What the whole verse says is "And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. "
What Paul was saying was that with this peace that you have received from God, it will guard your hearts and minds, from anxiety, and fear.

I know Paul instructs the followers of Christ to cast out impure thoughts. What may entice or provoke impure thoughts in my mind, may not for for others. If I have decided, for my own spiritual wellbeing that watching Wild on E provokes impure thoughts because of all the women in bikinis does that mean I have a right to force my convictions upon others. Does that mean My wife can not watch the show. No. I don't think watching Wild on E for Audrey would provoke the same thoughts as it may for me. So, in my case I have casted out not only the impure thoughts, but something that a lot of times provokes them and that is what works for me. But my brothers and sisters in Christ have the freedom to watch Wild on E because maybe it is a good show about places to travel to.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?