<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 19, 2004

As I left my house this morning to meet Russ, I heard a strange sound as I started my truck. My first thought was, great, something is wrong with the motor. Then I listened to it and it seemed fine. I even gave it some gas once or twice to make sure the hum of the engine was normal, which it was.

Then I had a second thought. The across the street neighbor has a black cat named Gilbert. Gilbert is always in our garage and yard. In the spring, if we leave our front door open, he just invites himself in. I wondered if Gilbert was up inside my engine when I started the truck? What a mess that will be I thought. So, I slowly backed out of my drive way looking to see if there was a pool of blood. There was none, so off to meet Russ I went. I drove approximately 5 to 6 miles to the church to meet Russ, driving at speeds of sometimes 50 miles per hour.

Once at the church, I went in to meet Russ, who was on a long distant phone call with an old friend. As I waited for Russ, I read a bit, and just kinda hung out, then the old man who makes the sermon tapes came into the office and told me that I had a cat hanging from underneath my truck.

My heart sank. I knew it was Gilbert. I went out front to take a peak and saw Gilberts back legs and tail hanging from the engine of the truck. “Crap” I thought, how am I going to get him unstuck. I went back inside the church to wait for Russ to finish his phone call so that he could help me.

As I was waiting for Russ to get off of the phone I came up with an idea. Russ and I could take my truck to a dirt road and drive it fast and hard hoping it would knock the cat loose. Then we could just dig a hole and bury him.

I went outside again to see if I could tell how stuck the cat really was. To my amazement, I saw Gilbert sitting under my Truck. He was alive? How could it be? I got a box and placed him in the box. He could walk and was bleeding a bit, but nothing too bad. Nothing I would think would need a Vets attention. I asked Russ if he would go with me to the owner’s house to explain what had happen. Russ agreed to go. As we were pulling up to the house I ran over the curb, causing the truck to jump. I don’t think that help the head ache Gilbert was already experiencing.

As I knocked on the owner’s door, my heart was beating and my hands were sweating. I tried to explain in a very tactful way what had happen to their family pet. How he was dragged underneath my truck for 6 miles. Terra, the cats owner took it well and said, “That’s ok, I ran over Gilbert last summer.” and “The cat we had before Gilbert, I turned on the dryer without knowing he was in there for about 30 minutes. He turned out fine”
I guess cats really do have 9 lives.




This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?