<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, March 21, 2005

Dont let Terri Schiavo starve to death.

I just want to start out by saying, if I ever end up in the same sort of state of condition as Terri Schaivo, it is my wish/ desire to be allowed to expire. For me, I don’t believe life is worth living in that kind of state. I would wish to expire so that I could provide closure for my wife and family and that they would be free to move on with their lives. However, this is just me.

In the Terri Schiavo case, I am torn in so many ways on whether or not Terri Schaivo should live as her parents wish, or be allowed to expire as her husband wishes.

I question why the husband doesn’t just file for divorce and let her parents care for her? He has already moved on with his life and has a live in girl friend, so what keeps him in involved in this matter? Is there life insurance money that he is entitled to as her husband when she dies? I did read that there was a 1 million dollar settlement for a malpractice suit. Would he be entitled to that when she passes? I am sure if he divorced her, all money he was entitled to would become void. Is this really just about money or is this about being faithful to your wife and ensuring her wishes are being carried out? I would hope it was about carrying out your spouse’s wishes, but I have my doubts.

Are the parents being selfish with their hope for a miracle or that medical science will advance and be able to bring back their daughter? Of what I understand, her parents are people of faith. If you believe in a Heaven, why would you want to keep someone from that and prevent them from finding eternal peace?

Despite all of these questions I have about the case I think and feel that she should be kept alive. Notice I did not say "be allowed to live"? Is she really living? Now, if she were on a form of life support that keeps her heart or lungs working and unplugging the machine would result in almost immediate death, I would likely have a different opinion. However, removing a feeding tub and waiting until she died of dehydration/ thirst is a cruel way of being made to expire. People are arrested for animal cruelty when they starve their pets, and now we see people who wish to do the same to human. It’s sad.

The whole case is sad. It sad that the husband can’t move on. It’s sad that the parents wont let go. It’s sad the government has involved itself in to the private family matters.


Here are two sites if any of you are interested. One is for letting her expire, while the other argues for her life.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1000938/posts

http://www.reason.com/links/links102303.shtml

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?