<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Noah began farming and planted a vineyard and he drank of the wine and became drunk, and uncovered himself inside his tent. Ham the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brothers outside. Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it upon both of their shoulders and walked backwards and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were turned away, so that they did not see their father’s nakedness. Genesis 9: 20-23

Last night I saw my father in a shameful state. It’s hard to see a parent in state of drunkenness. I take that back, its hard for me to see my father in a state of drunkenness. I am use to seeing my mother like that. My father on the other hand, has always been the strong one. He has always been the hero of the family, never showing any signs of weakness, until last night. Last night he was drunk, kind of emotional, and was receiving the cold-shoulder from his friends, though he had no clue. I was embarrassed for him for the first time in my life. I have always been proud of my dad; always glad to mention that I was his son. I hated seeing my dad like that. I hated seeing his friends ignore him, but I wanted to ignore him too.

I don’t know if I am ready or even want to parent my parents.

I see why Shem and Japheth turned their heads away from their father; no one wants to see their dad in vulnerable, pathetic state.
I want to be like my father in some many ways, but not that way.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?