<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 06, 2005

I sit in form of my computer on a beautiful Visalia summer evening. I have the window open so that I can feel the early summer breeze. The setting sun gives off enough light to keep my office lit. I am thankful for the wind in this moment, because I need to feel something other than sorrow. In this moment, I am drinking cheap red wine (shiraz) and listening to Iron and Wine,( It seemed to be fitting music) all the while thinking about my friends and how they have all moved or will be moving away.

I guess what I am feeling is the letdown from yesterday. On Saturday, we (Super Friends, spouses and kids) had a traffic time Barbecuing and playing disk golf. Two of my friends drove up from San Francisco to celebrate what will probably be the last time "Super Friends" will be together all at once for a long time, because Russ is moving away. With in 8 weeks, I will be stranded in the city I grew up in, while everyone that I have ever gotten close to has moved away.

While playing disk golf, Will and Jason and I were talking. I told Willie, that unlike Visalia, Mooney's Grove park is the one thing that is a constant. It never really changes. Stores, restaurants, and people come and go in this town, but the park will always remain. I feel that way; I feel like am a constant to this town. My friends have come and gone, moving on to pursue new adventures, and I remain here. Not ever really changing.

I forgot what hole we were on, but I told Jason, that this evening was what Visalia summers were all about; walking under oak tress, being with friends and enjoying a good brew and I pointed to the sun set. The sun was setting behind an old barn and to the left of it was a green field of something, probably cotton. Jason, stated that he really missed the farm fields. He doesn't get to see a whole lot of farm fields in San Francisco.

And I am going to miss my friend, for I wont get to see him anymore. And I will continue to miss my other two friends, who I am fortunate enough to see once a month.

I stand where I remain. Where there are green fields, shade under the oak trees and a park, that never seems to change.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?