<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 22, 2006

Her innocence is not necessarily politically correct.

Last week, while at the Sheriff’s Explorer’s Ball, Grace blurts out “Daddy, see that black man, I don’t like him…Why is his face black?”

Embarrassed, shocked and scared that all who overheard would think I am teaching my daughter to be raciest, I hushed her and told her that wasn’t nice and that man, was a very nice police man and our friend.

Later that night on the way home I tried to explain to Gracie that Jesus made people different colors so that we wouldn't all look the same. I figured I corrected her blunt and honest observations. That was until the other night while in the Vons' check out line. Again in a louder than needed voice Gracie blurts out “Daddy, see that black man?” I hushed her and tried to ignore what she had just said. I glanced at the bag boy who was laughing and put my head back down, wanting to get out of there before Gracie said something that would offend someone. She tried to get my attention again but this time I cut her off. “Daddy, see that...” “SHHH!”.

Finally getting out of Vons and back to the car I told her that people don’t like to be called by their color. I told her it is better to say “Daddy look at that man in the red shirt.”
Gracie said ok and appeared to understand. And of course again last night she says to me “Daddy, see that black man…in a yellow shirt.”

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?