<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

I heard a great story last night at my AA meeting. This guy, who I will call Sober Joe, was sharing about a detox hospital he was in 15 years ago. His sponsor and counselor was a Priest. After about 60 days of sobriety, Sober Joe asked the Priest a question.
He asked, “when will things begin to change in life for the better?”
The priest asked, “what do you mean?”
“I don’t know, I just want to know when things will get better”.
The Priest asked “ Are you mad?”
“No. I don’t think so…Well maybe”
”At God?” Inquired the Priest.
“No!”
”Are sure? Not even a little bit?”
“ Well maybe.”
“Well tell him” the priest insisted.

(This is where the story got funny)

Sober Joe then tells the Priest “Are you fucking kidding me? I am not telling God that I am fucking mad at him, your fucking nuts! That’s fucking crazy!”

The priest’s only response was “ Why not? He has big shoulders."

These guys crack me up with some of their stories. Some stories are heart breaking and painful, but others are comical like that one. This is such a diverse group of guys too. They are retired teachers, cops, bikers, parolees, homeless people, divorcees, and more. As different as our backgrounds may be, we all have this in common, we are all admitted drunks, misfits and ragamuffins with the desire to not drink.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?